Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Whole Foods and Beyond

This morning Jen and I went to Liberty High School's track for a pleasant morning run.  I jogged a warm-up mile then ran eighteen eighteens.  Upon further thought and calculation, I realized that in order to run a 4:00-mile I would have to maintain my sprinting pace for a full mile.  Even then, I would be in the upper four-minute range.  One more mind-boggling statistic before I move on, a four-minute miler runs at an average of 15 miles per hour.

We also went to Whole Foods and the Tanasbourne Farmer's Market (held in the Whole Foods' parking lot).  Their pineapples taste like a juicy celebration.  Got some more of my favorite milk (non-homogenized, local, organic) and already drank two glasses. 

On a similar note, try eating food that only has ingredients you can pronounce.  I've cut a majority (possibly 100%) of my high fructose corn syrup consumption.  (I realize high fructose corn syrup rolls off the tongue rather nicely, but its just as nasty as all those things you can't say.)  High fructose corn syrup's digestion creates a huge release of insulin to aid in its uptake, over time this overproduction leads to the development of Type II diabetes.  If the your health doesn't provide the necessary incentives to cutting HFCS, consider: the most highly subsidized crop in America is corn.  I'm all for helping provide our country with the food necessary to feed 300 million people.  But, the production of corn has been so over-subsidized that its now showing up everywhere from livestock feed to yogurt to gasoline and beyond.  If you like corn, eat corn; but do you really need it as a part of every meal?

Also, soy sucks.  By now, most the nation's soy crops are a genetically modified seed which holds Round-Up resistant properties.  (Farmer's can now do their "weeding" by crop-dusting with Round-Up.) 

Intrigued?  Watch either (or both) Food Inc. or Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat.

No comments:

Post a Comment