Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Business Courtesy

As a recent BA graduate in biology I've been forced to search for a job at a time when it isn't the most pleasant event around.  Tonight, it struck me that there are a number of things that irk me about the process.  However, there's one single step, or lack thereof, which bugs me more than the overplayed songs on the radio.

When did it become common practice to skip the rejection letter?  No valid reason exists which explains why this simple task can not be completed. 

First, letting people know they weren't selected for an interview would be nice to let them move on to other aspirations.  For example, application processes often occur completely online and via email.  Hence, "Company Biology" puts forth no effort into gathering your information (the days of neatly stacked resumes exist no more).  After evaluation of gathered applications and resumes, selecting the "rejects" and sending them a simple "you suck" email (in kinder language, because business is all about courtesy) would cost mere pennies.  Yet, this seems impossible.  A phone call may have once been the norm, but I would be happy with any kind of rejection.


Secondly, if in the process of hiring, any applicants reach "FORMAL INTERVIEW STAGE" (that's a low-tone, booming voice) she or he deserves a "FORMAL REJECTION LETTER" (same voice).  If you've spent the time, (in business speak this reads, "If you've spent the money,") to interview someone, he or she deserves 44 pennies and three minutes of your (or your office aide's) time to know that s/he will be working somewhere else.  I, personally, interviewed for a position and was told directly that I would receive a call within the week to let me know their decision.  That interview took place May 3rd.

Finally, the process of building a proper resume and subsequently adjusting its properties for each application becomes a tedious and time-consuming affair.  At least a business can recognize the effort (while the fit may not exist) and let an applicant know to continue looking.


Where has all the business courtesy gone?

1 comment:

  1. Yo I know the feeling. It's really annoying to apply for things and never hear back from the companies. The stupid thing is that once you've written one rejection email you never need to write another one. You save it once then as the screener sifts through the applicants they simply click yes or no and it sends the persons email address to a rejection list which could be automatically sent at the end of each week. Tons of emails are automated why can't we get some automated emails that are actually useful. I have respect for the companies that have sent me rejection letters, and in fact keep those rejections starred in my inbox so I can remember which companies I will actually consider working for once I am at the point where I can choose between employers.

    Put out 20 applications, get 3 automated responses that they received it, get no rejections is how it usually goes.

    ReplyDelete