Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Book or Kindle?

Are you a bookie?  I'm not talking to you Vegas folks taking bets on whether the L.A. Lakers will score seven points in the first two minutes of the second quarter by using only their left hand while being fouled flagrantly and converting the three-point play.  Not you.

You might be the one lugging two suitcases on vacation because one of them is filled with books that for whatever reason you've thought, "I might want to read that while I'm sipping Mai Thai's looking at beautiful people stroll along the beach enjoying the sunshine and warm weather."  More power to you.  The tradition of reading a book fades on a daily basis, and though there seems to be a counter-culture movement strong enough to prompt commercials targeted at converting bookies, literature has seen better days.  The idea that your grandchildren will never feel tree pulp between their fingers seems closer than ever.

I don't own a reader (aka Kindle, because let's be serious, they're dominating the market) but I do own a number of books on my cell phone.  When the opportunity arises to purchase the tree or the media, I'll always choose to chop down another tree.  (The books that I've purchased on my cell are either out-of-print or were free because they've been made available in the public domain.)  I see the Kindle and other readers as a great way to be exposed to classic literature that one may not be willing to shell out a couple of bucks to procure.  I've read more classic lit on my cell phone in the last six months than I did in the six years before that.  It seems better to read on a Kindle than to read not at all.  Books (either version) open up such a wonderful world that takes you so many places while you're sitting in your lounger.

Use Kindle as you like, but please read a paper copy of Fahrenheit 451 (a great read) first and be prepared for what's to come.

Read on. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment