Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Average Airman

Two weeks from today marks a new chapter's beginning as I embark on a deployment as a member of the U.S. Air Force. I am an average Airman. No particular portion of my duties puts me at any higher risk than anyone else. And I am a Staff Sergeant (exactly in the middle of all enlisted ranks). Most would consider my role in the military essential, yet barely military (the carrying of a weapon to work probably tips the scale toward military).

Today the gravity of my situation pulled slightly as I said goodbye to my day-job and collected a number of email addresses to "keep in touch." The idea that I'm off to war exists as a surrealist projection miles away, poised to bitch-slap me when I'm least prepared. Mostly, I'm feeling anxious to start a new occupation (compared to the monotony of the last years), excited for what may or may not occur, and relieved that my income will get a hefty boost (both from higher base pay and the exemption from taxes while deployed). The next nine months promise a roller-coaster of adventure, and I'm ready for the ride.

Each time the thought of someone trying to kill me crosses my mind it pushes me to live my life. Since learning of my deployment, I've taken each opportunity as it presents itself (actually seeking out areas for growth) and become even more "C'est la vie!" than before when it comes to the little things. I've been motivated to do more, be more, and simply live more; basically because a small fear lingers on the horizon. (I don't think anyone going to war can deny at least a minute presence of fear.)

Throughout the coming months, I'll use The Daily Scott to give you a vision of war through the eyes of An Average Airman. I realize this post comes across as discombobulated feelings distantly connected to war, which points exactly to my physical and emotional state at this point. The distance closes quickly as I prepare for the challenge. Come along.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post Scott. I can relate especially to your second paragraph. Since joining the Army Reserves I have also been encouraged to live my life more fully. It truly is a benefit of being a part of our United States Military. May we always live our lives to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete