Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

World Cup!

What get me out of bed at 6am?  Work?  That's laughable.  Workout?  Not quite.  Only the greatest sporting event in the world.  That's right, the World Cup!  At 6:30pt tomorrow morning Mexico kicks off against host South Africa on ESPN.  I can't wait.

When asked which team I favor to fare well this year, I realized I hadn't thought about it much.  But, I'll take a shot.  Argentina - I hate that their coach cheated numerous times (think steroids and "Hand of God"), but they'll at least make the final eight and probably advance further.  Netherlands - I've always had a soft spot for their orange jerseys (and can't resist their style of play) and see them advancing. 

USA - not unless American soccer's favorite child can stop choking.  Since Japan/Korea Donovan has been worshiped, but has lost his ability to come through in the clutch.  Howard provides the star keeper that's a must for a run in the Cup, unlike '06 and '98 when Keller manned the box.  While goalies don't win you games, they keep you in them, and advancing to the elimination round can be as simple as riding a hot keeper. 

Spain - an little-noticed, highly-talented squad that just last year ran up a streak of fifteen consecutive international victories.  Who's in the final you ask?  Argentina and the winner of Group G (either Brazil or Portugal).

No comments:

Post a Comment